I Believe That God Tests Your Faith To See How Strong You Really Are

Dakota - Solon, Ohio

The Two Weeks That Changed My Life Forever

It was a silent, winter night, as the snow fell and clung to the window. The night was cold. I felt like I was trapped inside of a freezer. Watching my mom stumble down the stairs with my aunt close behind, I heard my aunt say “I’m taking her to the hospital!” she trembled. This was a nightmare in real life, one I didn’t want to live.

After two days of not seeing my mom, the day had come where I had to face my fear of whether or not she was going to live, or leave us. Walking into the bright white room, seeing all those tubes and needles keeping her alive, it looked like a maze she was trying to get through. This was a side of my mom that I never wanted to see again! With all those “things” going in and out of her, she looked like a monster, not scary and intimidating but sad and afraid. I remember seeing a million white coated, glasses wearing, old men running in and out and in and out of the small little room trying to save her so that she wouldn’t leave her four “baby” girls alone with one worrying father. Although, the doctors didn’t know if my mom was going to live or not, due to the rare blood disease she had “carried”, we knew she was going to pull through for us. Some days I wouldn’t see my mom and other days I would be with her for four or five hours, but seeing my mom with the monster like features made me wonder why her? I would ask myself that question every day, and ask myself why not me? Why her? Today, I still don’t have the answers but I believe that God tests your faith to see how strong you really are.

These weeks to come, our family prayed more than we have ever prayed, so that she would not leave us. While my dad was at the hospital with my mom everyday, he would hear the white coated, glasses wearing; old men doubt my moms survival. When he heard them say this, he told them that she was going to make, because deep down we all knew that she would. One week had passed, and she still wasn’t home, she was in her bright white, closet looking, and scary “bedroom” known as her hospital room. Since she wasn’t home yet, we didn’t give up we did everything in our power to keep strong. Our mom was and is the glue that holds our picture together, and without that glue we would be torn apart. Since our glue, was becoming “unsticky” my sisters, my dad and I had to act like a thick white paste. After about one week and two days, I walked into the room to be with monster mommy. As I entered the room I looked next to her bed, and saw her wedding ring cut into pieces. This broke my heart. This was a band that was supposed to last forever. But from the looks of it, it had just ended.

Two weeks, felt like three years. When the doctors told us that our mother would be released to come home, these grueling two weeks had finally been over. Our glue became sticky again and our family was whole. Although something major happened, to us physically and emotionally we know that it had had a purpose. I never got the answers to my questions, why her? Why not me? But that doesn’t matter to me anymore because I have my mom and love her even more. Our praying and faith worked, and she did pull through for us. I believe that God tests your faith, to see how strong you really are.