Through Thick and Thin, We Remain

Catherine - Laurel, New York

I believe in commitment and staying the course, particularly when there are others besides myself who would benefit greatly or be devastated beyond measure.

For 30 years, my husband and I worked hard to build a world, complete with two wonderful children. On January 31, 2004, that world was destroyed by the sudden and swift packing of a bag and the offer of a hand-shake as he turned on his heel and walked out of our home.

Five years later, my children and I are still reeling and trying to redefine our lives. This devastation is not unlike the events of 9/11 encapsulated inside our microcosm of a family. There were three towers in this story…only one airplane. The rubble is still smoldering and the long term consequence remains unknown for the most part. The nightmares are many and the tears continue to flow.

Stunned and dazed to this day, we push forward because there is no other direction but survival. They are young adults, on their own, looking back for the support they deserve from two loving parents. There is only one parent now trying to do the work of two. Amazing to me as it may feel, I am stronger than I could have ever believed. I am able to give them what they need which in turn increases my strength and I am able to give back to myself.

We mourn the devastation of abandonment and disdain as we look forward to a new life with hope. Every day brings a new small death and a greater new birth. There is nothing as strong as the will to make a change that enhances and improves the quality of one’s life.

A new world is being built as the old one becomes less prominent in our memories.

For those who contemplate the trashing of an old life for the perceived greener grass of a new one, I have one thing to say. It is easy to quit but the rewards of the hard work of love and commitment are far greater.