Wresting with your conscience

Bim - Grand Juction, Michigan

This I believe

Wresting with your conscience

It was a chilly morning in Fort Myers, Florida when I arrived at the twenty four hour laundry. It was seven in the morning by the old clock on the wall and the temperature at the bank said 41 degrees. I put my clothes into the machine then was startled by a foot that moved between the rows of machines. I knew that this was a hang out for the homeless people so I was not real surprised having lived that life when I was younger. When I went to investigate my shock was I could hardly tell what I saw was human much less male or female. Upon a closer look she resembled a sack of wrinkled flesh wearing only a tee shirt that she had pulled over her head to block out the light. She lay there upon the cold concrete floor shivering, naked.

A repair man enters the store to fix some of the broken machines working on the machine next to the one I was using. I mentioned that we have a visitor this morning pointing to the little old lady who looked as if she were in her 70s. I was on my way out to my van to get her a sleeping bag. I always try to carry two, one for me and one for someone in need. Looking at the old woman he with shaking body and voice announced “They choose to live that kind of life” I noticed how upset he was as he went on that we should not care about them. I had to fuel his fire a bit by saying, “yes even so she is still probably someone’s Grandmother. Well that must have hit home because he was trembling and almost talking to himself at least I was no longer listening to him as I walked over to see if she was ok. She with appreciative eyes told me that she had washed her clothes in the sink but had no money to dry them thanking me for the sleeping bag. I put money into the dryer for her and she covered herself and went back to sleep.

A woman enters the room and ignores everything that is going on as if she had blinders on rendering it impossible to see anything but the dryer she came to use.

The repairman with his hand violently shaking had his cell phone rattling against his ear calling the owner of the business. Sometime later the buzzer goes off on the dryer announcing her clothes were dry as the owner storms onto the scene. Get out of my shop he screamed at her. She dressed herself as modestly as she could and left with head hung low.

I believe when you see someone naked clothe them, when hungry feed them, when sick heal them, within your ability to do so.

Pity goes to those who wrestle with their conscience and loose.