Movies, Stories & Dreams

Deshawnda - Platteville, Colorado
Themes: children

I believe that children need inspiring, positive, meaningless fantasy tales. To adults and most teenagers, “Cinderella”, “Fox and the Hound Dog”, and “Mulan” are inane movies that simply entertain children while they’re parents are busy. But to kids, these anecdotes are dreams and hopes of what may become of their future.

In all of these fairy tales, the characters have to overcome complications that temporarily stop them from achieving their goal. Whether the girl gets the guy at the end of the story and the happy-go-lucky couple walks off toward the sunset into a rich life and palace or if the boy defeats his evil opponent and goes on to live with his real friends and the love of his life. All of the tales inspire a want for a better life, to achieve something great—that will, in turn, inspire others. Silly books, films or even novels can empower a child to be a leader, a hero or just the simple treasure of true happiness, like many of the characters in these children’s stories.

When I was younger, I watched all the Disney movies, I read “Little Red Riding Hood” and “The Three Little Pigs “and many other children’s books, movies, and sing-a-long songs. One movie that particularly empowered me was “Mulan”. An action packed love story that promotes girl power but still entertains boys. Mulan fights all odds, portrays herself as a man in the Chinese army and still gets the cute male lead at the end. For me, I felt inspired to be more than the average girl, to be smart, powerful, kind and most of all…daring. The movie encouraged me to be competitive with my peers and to stand against the crowd while still fitting in. The film also played a part of my personal affairs. “Mulan” made me understand that I didn’t need a man to take care of me. A man that might try to control me and undermine my importance. I accepted the idea that I wanted a husband that was an equal to me and that would share all of life’s responsibility and endless tasks with me.

I think “Mulan” serves as an important, modern film for both girls and boys to watch. The movie stimulates girls to be better than the stereotypes. “Mulan” also encourages young women to be equals to men, no matter what the circumstances are. The story also serves as a transition film for boys—a tale that tells them, yes you can be ‘macho’ but in the end you may want a person that anticipates actual qualities from their partners, not just a mentality of toughness. So for all of you that think the fantasy stories are a waste of time, think back to when you were younger, and think of the dreams you had that were inspired by stories you heard or read, or shows you watched. I bet all of us can find a dream that we still want to come true, no matter how crazy it may sound.