2008 is the greatest year EVER!

Katie - Tempe, Arizona

I believe that 2008 is the greatest year EVER! Minus the negatives and the declining economy, 2008 has been PHENOMENAL.

It all started in January training hard with the Arizona State Softball team, with dreams of a National Championship in mind. I asked God everyday for his strength and courage to help me through the tough times I knew were ahead of me. I wrote in a journal every day in order to keep me focused on my goals, what I had to do in order to accomplish those goals, and my future goals. It was hard for me to do because what most don’t know about me is I have a hard time believing in myself, especially when its something I want desperately. Here’s a snippet of an entry:

Goals:

1. Win a National championship

2. Be the #1 Draft pick overall for the NPF

3. Get an offer to play in Japan

4. Win the first ever PAC-10 Championship for ASU

5. Be an All-American

6. Meet the man of my dreams (focus on the other stuff first)

What will I have to do in order to accomplish these goals:

Practice hard, study hard, and play hard. If I believe everyday and tell myself I can do these things, I WILL DO THESE THINGS. Empower yourself everyday and believe in what you do, God will help you do the rest. Remember what you put out there will always come back, just like Mom says! Most importantly BELIEVE because 2008 is going to be a great year!!!

I did this for months. Everything seemed to be so much better and my teammates felt the same way too. This is where the slogan started as we would chant National Champions 08’, and it started to become reality as goals were being accomplished one by one. I believed everyday that 2008 would be a great year and that it has… In 2008 I was a part of a team that won PAC-10 for the first time ever in Arizona State history, won a National Championship, was the #1 draft pick overall for the NPF, an All-American, and best of all will be playing softball in Japan as of 2009. This, my friends wasn’t all that 2008 brought me. On September 15, 2008 I met my future husband and will be getting married sometimes next year. My journal kept me in check helping me to focus on what I wanted most.

Of course all of this sounds amazing, but it did not come as easy as it is to type it all out. There were many bumps in the road a long the way, but were bumps that have built character and strength for my future. Two thousand and eight has also brought me the joy of getting closer with my family and friends and renewing my faith in God. I have been truly blessed and rewarded for all my hard work. I thank my family, friends, future husband ☺, and God for all these successes.

I believe in 2008 so much that I got a matching tattoo with my best friend and catcher, that displays my confidence that 2008 is the best year EVER!!

Rock on 08’!! I hope 2009 will be just as fine!