Everything Happens for a Reason

Richard - Silver Spring, Maryland
Themes: purpose, setbacks

When first entering college my mind was in the wrong place. Instead of looking at college as a chance to learn and do something with my life I saw it a one big party that was suposed to be the time of my life. I shortly found out that college wasn’t all fun and games. The party scene became more of a priority than my school work and one thing led to another and I found myself out of school and in the darkest time of my life so far. Leading up to my departure I found that the drinking and partying was getting out of control and there wasn’t much I could do about it. Once I was back home I had a chance to re evaluate my priorities and got back on track. I began working full time while attending community college full time. Although being asked to leave the school I was attending was one of the most upsetting things I have had to deal with I am glad it happened. I believe that if I had stayed at the college and continued on with what I was doing there I would be in a serious struggle with the negative effects of drinking. Good things come out of bad situations. Now that all of that is past me I feel like I am a better, stronger and more focused person and can now reach my full potential. Everything happens for a reason. You just may not be able to see the possitive aspects at first.