Cansas - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

I Believe In Family

I come from a family who believes in family being there not only during the good times but the hard times, as well. Any time I am going through something difficult, my grandmother always tells me “you come from strong stock, you can handle it.” I asked my mother if she ever heard her mother say this and she told me that is, her mother’s favorite saying whenever she is going through a difficult time and needs to refocus to make it through or to put things into perspective. My family, regardless of what I am doing or going through, I know I can depend on them to be there for me.

Family is very important to me. There was a time when I had gotten into some trouble and I wasn’t able to be home for the holidays. That was the most difficult time in my life. For Christmas, my youngest cousins, who were in elementary school at the time, made me a scrapbook and had the whole family, bring pictures to them to put in the scrapbook and there was a place for everyone to write a little something to me. I believe it was and still is the most precious gift I have ever received. When I got home, my great grandmother was dying and died a few days later. It really hit home to me that time with family is very precious and important. I missed spending her last Christmas and Thanksgiving with her. That is time I will never get back, all because of an unwise choice that I made. My great grandmother was a good Christian woman who had a strong belief in God and everything He stood for. She instilled in her family the importance of family, having strong convictions and a strong faith. Her death was a great loss. Her husband died six months later. I personally think of a broken heart. They had been married for about 60 years. Their death and the time I missed with them made me realize what I have taken for granted, there is time and always tomorrow.

Well, that is not the case. The old saying is very true—don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today. There are no guarantees. I believe family is one of the most important things in life. I have a wonderful family and I know they are always going to be there for me. I can depend on that and am very fortunate and blessed to have that kind of family. Don’t get me wrong, we have our good days and bad days, our ups and downs, but no matter what, we are always there whenever we are in need and are there to share our joys with each other. My family is and always will be my backbone.