Drugs

Ashley - Winston Salem, North Carolina
Themes: addiction, family

My family was a very normal family. When I was growing up my parents were always there for me and would do anything in their power for me. My mom works at a hospital and my dad works for UPS. My sister was my role model, most definitely. She is three years older than me and when I got to high school I wanted to be just like her. When she was a senior, I was a sophomore, she started doing cocaine. I did not know at the time. My parents found out, and told her she wasn’t going to do that and live there so they gave her a choice, and she moved out. She moved in with her boyfriend who beat her and did drugs just as she did. She got very bad on it, and seeing her at school was devastating. She had lost so much weight and she just looked awful, she was voted most popular in high school and it was just upsetting how she went from that to not caring. My mom cried everyday and went through depression. Seeing all of this happen and being so young I did not know what to do. That was one of the hardest times in my families life and I could never do that to them. I feel that drugs are ridiculous. I have never seen any type of drug nor do I want to. I really grew up through that experience and I feel as if it made me more mature. Drugs will never be apart of my life because they do nothing good. My beliefs are strong about this subject because it nearly ruined my family and my sister. She has finally gotten of drugs and has a good job and a nice apartment. I am very proud of her that she made the choice to stop because some people can never do that. My family is now closer than it ever was and my parents are very proud of the lifestyle I have chosen.