Lauren - Deer Park, Texas

I was adopted when I was sixteen. My life before my adoption was one of pain, and constant depression. That changed when I got the option to be a part of a new family. This family has shown me that it doesn’t matter where you come from, there are people out there who care. I never thought I would be able to trust people again after living with birth parents who treated me like dirt. My family has taught me to open my heart and love. I think that if I had not been blessed with this family, I would be living a horrible life filled with drugs and stuff to try and bury my pain. My parents are very loving, they know that I’m still sensitive to the before, they know that i still have bad dreams, and don’t badger me about it. I have become a strong young woman because of their willingness to take me in. People don’t even realize that I am adopted since i mesh so well with the family, it’s amazing really. I’ve made people cry telling them my story, I’m pretty stoic about it now, it doesn’t affect me as much as it used to. My family loves me, people accept me, and I have learned to accept myself. I believe that my family saved me from ruining my own life. THey have prevented me from becoming another statistic teenage foster kid.