Broken and Healed

Brianna - Columbia, South Carolina

All these stories are true. I wouldn’t dare to make up something like this that has hurt the lives of so many people. Some people don’t understand that some people are suffering inside so they don’t ask that person if they want help or if they just want to cry into their shoulders and tell them everything bad that has happened in their life. I believe that everyone who hasn’t had a loved one died should be very thankful. My mom died on December 14, 2006. I was staying home from school because I had this weird feeling in my stomach that I never had before. I had stayed home from school the day before just because it was offered. I woke up that morning and got dressed like I would for a normal day at school. But there was this weird feeling in my stomach. The next day when my sisters flew in (on Thursday) I asked them if they also had a weird feeling in their stomachs the day before. Both of them said yes. My mom had died around 2:30 in the afternoon. She was surrounded by my dad, her boyfriend her best friend since middle school and her mom. I wish I could have been there to say good-bye just that one last time. The last time I had spoken to her was the day before in the morning. It was just before my dad and step-mom asked me if I wanted to stay home from school that day. I said yes. I showed my mom what I made for her the night before. It was a collage of me and my friends, me and her and just her. I wrote down all the people that were in the pictures and all of the names of the places we were at. I was wearing my Santa clause hat, blue sweater, and favorite jeans that we had gotten together when I showed her the gift that I made her. It hurt me so bad to see my mom who used to be so strong and powerful to be so weak and pathetic in bed with a help-breathing tube up her nose. I have never seen my mom like that and I will never forget it. I was always hoping, praying, wishing that my mom would get better again. On her good days, she would pick me up or drop me off at school. Then on the weekends, we would get up early and drive to see our pony, Spats aka Spaz. Sometimes we would go to the dog beach or the regular beach. One time we even went to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. On that day that I will never forget, my mom left behind all of her friends and her family. I do believe that she is in a better place than what she was in because she is no longer in pain. She never has to undergo chemotherapy again and never ever has to loose all of her gorgeous hair. I miss my mom a whole lot but whenever I feel sad or am missing her a lot, I just remember all of the good times that we had together and talk to my dad about it. I think that no one has ever had to go through something like the death of their mom. I think that some people don’t realize that something like that happened to me because I’m always so happy and laughing all the time. I basically kept telling myself that she is in a better place now; that she is not in pain anymore. And I’m glad that my mom doesn’t have to loose all of her hair anymore and that she doesn’t have to be so sick. She was always in bed and whenever she tried to come upstairs, she took breaks after two steps. My mom was very weak. I love my mom and a day doesn’t go by without me wanting to see my mom.