See Daddy, I Did It

Amber - Frankfort, Kentucky

See Daddy, I Did It!

Get over it. Yeah, it’s a little harsh, but sometimes we all need a dose of reality. This is why I believe in blunt honesty and raw reality. The best way to put it: I believe in pulling up your big kid pants and moving on.

Ask anyone, they’ll tell you that I have always been a little tough. When someone trips- get up and shake it off. A break up- Find someone else, he wasn’t worth it any way. A failed test- do better next time. My favorite thing to tell anyone is to suck it up and get over it.

Now, I am not heartless. I understand that some times it hurts too bad. I understand that some hard times need support and not a reality check. I know that a kiss and a band-aid can not fix everything like it did when we were five. But I also know that it doesn’t help to wallow to long. Because of what I know, I will always lend support, try to kiss away the bruise, but I won’t let my loved ones dwell on the past too long.

Some people think that believe this because I haven’t had any real pain. Actually, this belief was borne of the worst pain I have ever experienced.

I grew up in a single parent home, until my mom married my first stepfather. That man became my Dad, he raised me like his own. I was his daughter and it didn’t matter if a DNA test could prove it or not. He taught me everything I know about life. He was the first person to support me in whatever I wanted to do.

I remember that whenever I tried to do something and I couldn’t get it right off, Daddy was always patient and helped me, no matter how long it took. Whenever I finally accomplished something hard, like riding a bike for the first time, I would look up at Daddy and say, “See Daddy, I did it. I finally did it, and I’m okay.”

Daddy would smile down at me and say, “I told you that you would be okay.”

My time with Daddy was the best time of my life.

All of a sudden, a massive heart attack ripped the most important role model in my life away. I was drowning; I didn’t know which direction to turn, it was like I was following a broken compass. Life had no point when Daddy wasn’t there to tell me that he was proud or to pick me up and kiss away my bruises. I wasn’t sure if I could make it through this.

Sure, people hugged me and tried to make me feel better. They tried to kiss away my bruise, but it was too big. Only my Daddy could make it better, and he wasn’t there.

Then it hit me. An ocean wave dragging me helplessly toward my breakthrough. I realized that I couldn’t continue to drown in the pain. Sure Daddy wasn’t here anymore, but I was. Daddy wouldn’t want me to struggle for air anymore. That thought pulled me up for good. I wouldn’t want to disappoint my role model.

I realized that I controlled how a hard time affected me. I decided to never let any pain affect me like that again. I know that Daddy would have been proud of my decision. I wanted to say, “See Daddy, I did it. I made it. I’m gonna be okay.”

I felt that I should share my breakthrough. No one should have to suffer like I did. I don’t wish the feeling of not making it on anyone else. That’s why I’m tough on everyone. We all control our own destinies, and we shouldn’t let one unfortunate event dictate our entire lives. We all need to believe in picking up the broken shards and putting them back together. Humpty Dumpty couldn’t be put back together, but we can. We can move on.