Getting a job should not be a problem in America

Kisu - Antioch, Tennessee

This I believe.

Working is a gift. And yet, sad to say though, instead of working for our enjoyment, many cases we work for making money whether we like the job or not. There’s a saying in Korea ‘I have to put rice in my mouth’ (Literally saying I need to glue my mouth with a grain of rice) meaning some people work to survive and avoid death from hunger.

People come to America for better life so called “American Dream” and yet unemployment and hunger become more reality even in this most developed country in the world.

Still, this I believe that unless you are seriously sick or picky, you WILL find a job in the United States of America and you will be able to support your family financially.

My wife and I had been working for a non profit organization as full time volunteers for number of years. Yes, we were working not for money but for our enjoyment in helping others. During that time, our basic needs were taken care of such as food and shelter. But because of my wife’s shoulder surgery in the year 2001, we stopped working as full time volunteers. So we moved from Brooklyn, NY to Cashiers, NC where we spent the next three years. It did not take a long time to see the reality of life – the bills we need to pay. It seemed like there’s no such free things in this country. Everything cost money. We had to buy soaps, toilet papers, food and so forth.

The jobs that I wanted to do were not helpful for our family financially. But cleaning work was available, something that I would not get excited to do. But we had to put rice in our mouth. Since 2002, we began cleaning houses, scrubbing the toilets, picking up food garbage and etc.

I began to see that what you get paid the least in other countries, you do get good money in this country. Whatever you do with your hand, yes it could be physically demanding, but I said good money in this country. I am talking about cleaning houses, cleaning windows and so forth. Even better, having these kinds of jobs you don’t need to be worried of being laid off. You may get fewer clients if the economy gets bad, but that’s about it. Most importantly, as long as you do the “hard” work with honesty and punctuality, chances are you will keep the job. To me this is a real fact in this country. Getting a job should not be a problem in America as long as you are not seriously sick or very choosy. The expression “The Land of Opportunity” fits so well. All you have to do is keep yourself healthy and don’t be too picky and try to see the opportunity.