Water that Runs from Our Faucets

anna - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe that running water is a luxury that most of the people take for granted. It should not be so, because in the other parts of the world running water is not always available. In those parts of the world, people must then find alternative ways how to have water. I have experienced not having running water, and then when we had running water always, it was great.

When I was four years old, my family and I moved to a nine story building. This was back in my country before we moved to the United States. The living conditions were good with one exception – we did not have running water always. In fact everybody in that region had the same problem. We would get cold water twice a day – from seven a.m. to eight a.m. and from five p.m. to seven p.m. The whole five years that we live there, we did not get any hot water except twice and that was for two hours both times. And how did we live? Well, we just did and I guess we survived. To have water for the day, we would fill containers with water and use it throughout the day to cook food, wash dishes, take showers, and so on. My older sibling and I used to hate washing dishes because it was such a pain to do that without the running water. For washing our clothes, we had a washing machine, but we could only use it during the times the water was actually running. In order to take showers in warm water, we would have had to heat up the water on the stove and then use it.

So therefore, you can see why we all should be grateful for the water we have running from our faucets whenever we want it to. When we came to the United States, we were happy that there was no one to regulate when we could have our water running or no running. After a while we, of course, forgot everything and got used to this, just like everyone else gets used to the things they get. But, I still believe that we need to be grateful for the water that we have when we turn on our faucets. I believe that water is a luxury and we should be thankful for it.