This I Believe That Curves Are The New Pink

Melina - Nashville, Tennessee

I believe that curves are the new pink. Looking in the mirror I could name off a million things that I would want to change about myself. While pointing out every flaw I have, depression slowly creeps past the love handles I hate, and makes its way into my head. This sends me into a state of mind in which all I want is to wallow in my misery and eat chocolate. This of course does not help fix the situation, but it sure makes it easier to accept.

Stick figures are meant for the sketchpad, not real life. Expectations are everywhere, in magazines, on T.V., hanging on the wall in the Dentist office. It’s hard for me to look at myself and think that I am beautiful when you have women that look like stick figures glaring back at me while I search for my size hanging on the rack. It is too often seen girls beating themselves up with eating disorders, but with people that are unfortunately considered role-models for young girls dealing with anorexia, what are we supposed to expect from society? Who wants to be a stick figure, when they can be a beautiful masterpiece?

I believe that this season the best accessory you could have is good confidence. There is nothing wrong with having a curvy body, not everybody is lucky enough to have the perfect hourglass figure. So, if you are one of the lucky few embrace your curves and don’t be ashamed of them just because the top actress at the time weighs 2 ounces.

Surround yourself with people that loves you for your beliefs, the morals you have, your music taste, or what books you enjoy reading and not what size dress you wear. Meet new people and be open minded about their beliefs while also sharing your own. Push yourself to get to know others and let tem get to know you as well.

I believe that the only thing you should put a limit on are the things you criticize yourself about. As hard as it is to believe nobody is perfect, yes, not even that model that’s on the cover of your Vogue lying next to you. In fact I would say that Photoshop had a lot to do with the things that we view as perfection.

God makes no mistakes, and he designed you for a specific reason. Sure, it’s easier said than done to have confidence in your flaws. I, myself, have a hard time accepting the fact that I don’t look like the girl on the cover of Vogue, but considering the fact that her hips, nose, and cheek bones were probably airbrushed …I think I’d rather be a real, ambitious, young woman instead of a computer graphic. Do not worry about fitting in those size zero jeans, why not find something that flatters your own figure and wear it with pride, after all, curves are the new pink.