The Hobby and The Identity

Chris - Suffield, Connecticut

I believe in the hobby- the idea that one may find solace in an activity that provides interest and entertainment, as well as satisfaction and sense of self. The concept that any person can ignore the usual melodramas of a typical day and discover a temporary escape, almost a different world, the likes of which only they themselves understand completely.

I believe it crucial for one to act freely and comfortably within themselves and their hobbies. For a child to sit down at a piano at will and run off the Inventions of Bach or the Waltzes of Chopin or the Preludes of Rachmaninoff. For an arthritis patient seeking treatment to sit down at the pottery wheel and create a vase or a bowl. For an artist to set up canvas in the middle of a meadow and paint the scene set before him by his Gods for as long as he pleases. For the scientists and engineers to sit down and question why the world works the way it does and to hypothesize how certain things become and how we may affect or change these laws of nature.

I believe that the hobby, in whatever form the partaker decides, proves vital to one’s life, in that without the sense of achievement and personal gratification these hobbies bring, one’s purpose of life may become distorted. For if the writer may not sit down at his desk with pad and pen and form the words his mind creates, he loses his sense of self and forbids the flow of his imagination. For if the gymnast may not stretch and twirl and leap at will while in the gym, she loses her balance quickly and restrains her ability to fly and defy Earth’s law of gravity. For if the chef may not experiment with spices and create his various dishes, he loses his sense of imagination and his taste for sweetness and bitterness, as well as the knowledge of proper balance of such tastes.

For through the hobby one is allowed to dig deep within themselves to find what it is exactly they wish to pursue and what character they wish to portray throughout their life story. With hobbies we are given the chance to display our true colors to the world and describe the inner intricacies of our lives that most may not know anything about. While a student may simply seem bookish and smart, the complications of his mind and soul are expressed through his proofs of formulas and theorems and his deductive and lateral skills to solve any equation. While an athlete may come off as jock-like and unexpressive, we find her expression of soul through an extensive interest in photography. While a mother may appear to know only of child development and raising a family, one notices her cosmopolitan and daring side throughout a night on the town with her girlfriends.

With hobbies we are able to discover ourselves in the purest form, the people that we really are on the inside. We realize the person or people that we are currently and then the person or people we are trying to imitate and eventually become.

And while the multiple benefits of hobbies are quite evident and clear, we continue to put these interests aside with the hope that no one will mistake us for our identities and therefore abandon us for being who we really are. But, I believe that we must forget about the trivial concerns of what others think and focus instead on our self-expression and gaining a confidence to be ourselves regardless of what others may tend to think about our actual identities. Additionally, I find it rather substantial that one be themselves around others or else be like by others for the wrong reasons. I believe it incredibly important to always remember one’s true self and who one really is and wishes to become through their hobbies and through their interests. For it is through our hobbies that we find ourselves, the real people, the real personalities that drive our daily lives forward until their bitter end. And that the only way to allow others to accept one’s ideas and one’s identity is to allow those ideas and identities to sink in slowly and gradually, to force those beliefs and characters to accumulate within another’s mind and gradually arrange themselves until that person finds the true and undeniable person that one really is.