This I believe

James - Lanai City, Hawaii

“I differentiate myself from others through the music I listen to.” This is what a good friend of mine often says. Then I say “Hey!” He replies correctively, “Oh, we differentiate ourselves…” Personally, I prefer the term deviate. They basically mean the same to me and I wouldn’t be quoting my friend. Plus it sounds more rebellious. I deviate from the crowd by listening to different music. But either way it is true. Three out of ten people I know listen to the same music I listen to…and those guys are probably my friends. The type of music my friends and I listen to is rock. We love rock! And we don’t give a crap if we can play instruments or not. Rockin’ out with Rock Band and Guitar Hero is just as good or even better because you don’t have to be good!

“Rock is so much fun. That’s what it’s all about, filling up chest cavities and empty kneecaps and elbows.” -Jimi Hendrix. I agree with that guy, Rock is about having fun! It’s a way to express your self freely, especially with good friends. Who doesn’t like to sing along to their favorite songs with their friends? Games like Rock Band are a good example. When I really get into the game with my buddies, we’re throwin’ up devil horns and screaming at the top of out lungs! Plus, the fact that we aren’t playing real instruments adds to the excitement because it’s funny and not hard for anyone to just jump in. We don’t care what others think when they se us like that. They’re just jealous!

Rock fashion is another thing I love about the genre. Although there are different styles like Goth, and punk, they’re all still unique. Personally, I like torn jeans, bracelets, necklaces, and of course the crazy long hair! It’s a great rebel look. Some of the friends of mine that are girls wear colorful knee-high socks and punk jackets. They always put a smile on my face when they wear them. The style is just so fun and different. The reason why I like rock fashion so much is probably due to being surrounded by Hip-hop fashion.

Almost everyone I know mainly listens to hip-hop and R&B. It’s so cliché. Although I have nothing against those genres, I just find it way too common. Every day in school I see people who wear clothes that are influenced by hip-hop. New Era hats, nice shoes, and baggy clothes are all examples. The whole thing is getting pretty old to me.

One year during homecoming, one of my classmates asked, “Can I listen to your Ipod?” I trusted this person, so I was okay with lending it to her. But I knew she didn’t listen to the same music as I did. Knowing this I gladly said “Yeah, here,” and gave it to her. I knew she wouldn’t have it for too long. She scrolled through the songs and afterwards end up disappointed due to the lack of songs she liked. I was right. Just a few minutes later she returned my Ipod saying, “Haw! You don’t have any good songs!” I didn’t find it offensive. I just jokingly asked “What? You don’t like Rock?” She said no and went off looking for someone else’s Ipod. I found this to be funny. This was not the only time, it has happened again. I always see it as a reminder of how I am different because of the music that I chose to listen to.

I believe rock music is meaningful to me and I will continue to listen to it in the future. Listening to rock is what makes me unique. It separates me from the crowds of hip-hop fans. Its influence affects the people I chose as friends because of similar interests, and it also influences my free personality to do what I want to do and express myself. I never want to forget the feeling I get when I listen to rock.