I believe that it takes two people to make a relationship work

Lorenz Christopher - Lanai City, Hawaii 96763, Hawaii

I Believe That It Takes 2 People To Build a Relationship

In my life one of the most essential beliefs that I hold most dear is that it takes two to build a relationship but not only one. I gained knowledge in knowing this from my past relationships. Never did it occur to me that both persons needed to exert the same amount of effort because I’ve been showing that I cared more. I’ve done all that I could do in my past to keep the relationship going steadily, only to find out that it will only crash and burn.

Just a year ago, I was in a relationship which I thought would last forever. I don’t know what lured me to her; all I know now is that it was a mistake. She always promised that if I was gone for a couple days or weeks, she wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardize our relationship. Two months into the relationship, a trip to the Philippines with my family gave her a stupid excuse to do something that left me with a broken heart. I learned that she couldn’t be as honest, patient, and trust worthy as I was. She had told me that she had been with a guy and that she cheated on me. What she said left me speechless and betrayed. It felt like someone stabbed me right in the heart and in a split second, my happiness turned into heartache. She said she was sorry and begged for another chance, but I learned if she couldn’t return the feelings that I felt for her, what was the point in forgiving her? I had to do something about this, so I broke up with her.

Sad and depressed I thought I couldn’t find love again until one day, I saw a picture of a girl on the Internet. She was very attractive, and so I started to talk to her only to find out that she was just like me. She understood me because she experienced what it was like to give someone so much and get nothing in return. She was also cheated on in her last relationship. I wasn’t so sure whether or not to trust her completely because my past relationship some what jeopardized everything. I took the risk because the more we talked, we began to like each other more and more each day.

Confident that she could really be the one for me, I asked her out. Before she would say or no, she asked me if I was sure because she was going to the Philippines for three weeks and she wanted me to enjoy my summer vacation. I told her it didn’t matter. I would wait for her until she came back and she trusted me. She understood me and had faith in me, so she said yes. One great thing about it was that although I had not met her yet, I already knew that we shared something special. I knew she cared for me and she knew I cared for her because during her stay at the Philippines, we talked every single day. I felt special because she would take time just to talk to me everyday. I bought phone cards, but she said not to because it was just a waste of money. I told her, “Babe, money comes and goes; but you come once in a lifetime.” As three weeks passed and we talked more, she came home. Now, she knew how much I liked her because I didn’t cheat or do anything to hurt her.

I find this belief important because it brought me someone great and irresistible that I can rely on to be with me for a lifetime, not temporarily. She was the one that taught me this belief that I cherish now. She told me that it takes two to build a relationship because you can’t feel so much for someone that doesn’t feel the same way for you. This belief has impact my future because she is my future and having the same beliefs just brings us closer. In conclusion this belief brought me happiness that it changed my point of view on life.