Passion Helps All

Preston John - 96763, Hawaii

The passion in people helps them achieve things. I am a very passionate person. I do what is necessary to achieve what I want. The passion in me drives me and motivates me. What if we didn’t have passion that motivates us to achieve things? Will we still have the same desire to motivate ourselves to do what’s needed? I use my passion everyday and in every way possible to help me accomplish anything!

Just this past year I really wanted to join the varsity basketball team. I wasn’t able to do so because of grade problems in school. I had failed geometry during my freshman year. Geometry was one of the toughest classes I had, but the passion in me gave me the will and desire to get the half credit I needed. When I finished gaining my half credit it was back to the courts for me.

The season had already started, so it was too late to be on the team. This didn’t stop me from playing the next year. As the basketball season progressed, I was practiced really hard to be the best I could be. I went to the gym by myself to work on my basic skills of basketball. I worked on shooting drills, rebounding drills, and dribbling drills. With each day the skills in these areas grew better and better. When the varsity season ended, the players on the team helped me out. We joined the Men’s Basketball League during the summer. This really helped me develop as a player because playing with the old guys is a really physical game. I was a different player because playing in the Men’s League helped me understand how to understand the game itself. When this season was over I was a different person. I really wanted to play for Lanai High School’s varsity basketball team.

After the Men’s League was over the varsity coach of our school called for practices. These practices were for returnees and new comers. I was a new comer, so I knew I had to earn a spot on the team. When the first practice came around I knew I was had to learn new things. The things we did at first were hard for me, but I was so passionate to make the team I did every drill we did the best that I could. We went through shooting drills, passing drills, and defensive drills. The shooting drills we went through were cheap steps, step outs, flares, and curls. The defensive drills were just as hard. We had to front to cutter, jump to ball, back screens, front screens, and inside out screens. When the coach told me “Hey Pres, you can do this better common now” I would follow what he tells me. The degree of each drill was so difficult that it took me a while to understand the concept of each drill. After each practice I was so exhausted because I did everything the best I could do. The passion in me motivated me to work hard. Each practice was the same and I tried to improve myself move with each practice. I went to every single practice during the off season. Then we moved practices to the school gym. I needed to step it up in order to be a part of the team.

Just recently we had the cuts for who would make the varsity team and who wouldn’t. I was really excited to see if my name would make the list. Monday morning came and I was first to see the list of the team members was posted up in the gym. When I looked at the list and saw my name, excitement and happiness overcame me. I knew that all my hard work had paid off. I was now a member of the Lanai High School Boy’s Basketball Team. This wouldn’t be possible if I weren’t passionate about being on the basketball team. This is why I believe that being passionate about something will help you achieve it!