The Power of Friendship

Jennifer - Newark, Ohio

I believe the friendship my best friend Sam and I share can last through anything. We’ve already faced falling outs in our lives due to boys, other best friends, as well as distance due to college, but we have continued to stay friends throughout the years by working on keeping our friendship alive. Even though friendships grow apart and fade, I believe Sam and I will always be friends.

The first time I met Sam was in my seventh grade English class with Ms. Thomas. As the year progressed, Sam and I sat with each other at lunch and talked everyday. We saw each other at school. Then, we went home and talked on the phone. When Sam and I didn’t talk on the phone, we hung out with one another. Every weekend, Sam and I got together to go to football games, watch movies, or gossip about the latest buzz in school. Sam and I became inseparable.

Our friendship stayed this way until our freshman year of high school. Sam began talking to this boy in our Spanish class whom I didn’t necessarily care for. Eventually, they became boyfriend and girlfriend. Sam hung out with him more and more everyday which created less time for us to hang out. It seemed like we always fought about their relationship, therefore we ended up growing apart. I started to confide in other friends while leaving Sam out of the picture. Throughout the rest of our freshman year and even into our sophomore year, Sam and I were not friends. We were acquaintances.

One day in our junior year of high school, Sam and I had a heart-to-heart about the situation. After school, we walked to the parking lot together and sat in my car sobbing. She told me she missed hanging out with one another like we had in the past. I told her I missed the friendship we used to share. Throughout that hour, our broken tears mended our friendship. We began spending time with one another again. Our friendship grew stronger after that year and by the time senior year came, Sam and I were inseparable yet again.

Even now when Sam and I attend different colleges, we continue to keep our friendship strong. We talk on the phone every week, if not twice a week, to talk about school and the events that are going on in our lives. We visit each other at school and whenever we are home, we hang out like old times. Sam will be always be here for me as I will always be here for her. She is my best friend because I know I can rely on her for anything. She is here for me through the good times and the bad times. Whenever I need someone to talk to or whenever I need someone’s advice, I know I can always turn to her. This is what I believe.