Yes, I Can

Jada - Thomasville, North Carolina
Themes: family, legacy

When I was a little girl, I relied on my parents, mainly my mother, like most children do, for everything. I felt as though I couldn’t do anything on my own. I was afraid of the whole world, and I left it up to my mother to do everything for me. She picked out my clothes for school probably up until I was about 13. She never would let me ride the school bus, probably because she was over-protective. Even homework or school projects, I left up to my sister or someone else to atleast help me with them.

If anything went wrong, my mother was always there to fight my battles for me. Once I turned 16, and started working, my mother still took it upon herself to talk to my bosses if I needed time off of work or if there was a problem. I was always afraid of what someone was going to say or do to me.

I finally realized after I turned 18 that it was time to “grow up”. My mother was not always going to be there to fight my battles for me. Reality hit me about 6 months ago when my boyfriend and I moved into our own apartment. I have definately became alot more responsible and independent. Now it seems as though the tables have turned, and he relies on me to handle everything, such as the bills. He doesn’t even like ordering pizzas over the phone. I tell him that whomever he is talking to does not know who he is and probably will never meet him face to face, but he still leaves it up to me. I’m hoping to get him out of his shyness, and make him realize that he’ll eventually have to do things on his own, and that the world is not a scary place afterall.