Everything in life happens for a reason

Melissa - Jasper, Alabama
Themes: purpose

I recently had an epiphany, or an “ah hah” moment as my 9th grade geometry teacher would say, referring to the times when my class would suddenly figure something out and then follow it with an “ah hah” sound. In this moment, I discovered that nearly all of the mistakes I have committed in my life have contributed to my present character, as well as some of my greatest achievements. However, this epiphany came to me, not through a mistake turned success, but through a silly incident with a napkin.

On the night of my epiphany, I regrettably put a napkin, which was previously wrapped around a bottle of water I was drinking, into the right pocket of my jacket. Little did I know, this napkin would later serve both a physical and inspiring purpose. For some reason, I did not throw the napkin into the trash along with the empty bottle. I simply tossed the bottle then walked into a church. Upon entering the church, I realized I was still holding this somewhat moist napkin, so I frustratingly put the napkin in my pocket. Nearly an hour after entering the church, I became entangled in emotion. I had just previously been encouraged by a priest to pray about the current conflicts in my family, and doing this caused an uncontrollable amount of tears. The more I prayed, the more the water would stream from my face. When my nose began to run, I felt embarrassed and gross, but then I suddenly remembered the napkin in my pocket. I retrieved the napkin and wiped my face. At that instant, I convinced myself that I had unknowingly put that napkin in my pocket for a reason.

Now some people might consider this a mere coincidence or just a small matter, but to me this incident was the gateway to my understanding of fate. This random and hardly noticeable event ignited a belief in me. I noticed that nearly every one of the big mistakes I could recall making throughout my life had somehow shaped who I am today. This thought echoed inside my mind and then triggered yet another thought. Every hardship I have endured in my life has led to the result of something positive. My most irreplaceable friendships and family bonds have stemmed through supporting each other through life’s struggles. I came to the conclusion that everything in life happens for a reason.

Living by the motto that everything happens for a reason ensures that I see the world in a positive light, but the difficulty in maintaining this motto increases every time I am exposed to the world’s violence. However, believing that everything happens for a reason gives me hope that through violence and bad situations, something good will emerge.