The Importance of Early Chidlhood Education

Andrea - San Francisco, California

Throughout the years there have been many different trends on how to raise children. We had the 1950s with the perfect “Leave It To Beaver,” family where the children were obedient. Soon after, there were books that guided parents on how to raise kids. Though parents use many different methods on how to raise children, they all have one thing in common, they want the best for their child and to promote the child’s success. The importance of early childhood education has shaped my life in many ways, affecting my own life as well as shaping others’. Children should have the opportunity to start their education as early as possible. Parents should provide the necessary opportunities for their children so the children can succeed in school. It is crucial to lay the foundation for education early so that children can grow to their full potential as they grow older. I have experienced this first hand when my parents decided to put me in preschool.

Not only did my parents send me to preschool, but they also were able to notice at an early age that I had a problem grasping certain ideas. I had a problem with my speech, which caused my social skills to decline because I couldn’t communicate what I wanted to the people around me. If I had not gone to preschool they would not have caught this until kindergarten and I would have been set back in my education further. To solve my speech problem, my parents and school sent me to intensive speech therapy. Here, I learned how to pronounce words and how to communicate what I wanted to my peers. Later on, I found out I had a learning disability and spent most of my time outside of school with tutors. Since I was a kid, I always had help from people around me. Today, I have shaped my life around children and everything I can to help them early on as other people did for me.

I advocate preschool or play dates so young children can learn necessary skills to succeed. Social skills are essential for a child to succeed in school and outside of school. Playing with other children teaches how to follow directions and how to cooperate well with others. Preschool shows the child how to deal with certain situations and solve problems. I have worked and volunteered in many preschools to help children around me. I believe, the adults around me should do the same and schedule time to play with children or have activities for kids. To let the community that social skills are just as important for babies and toddlers as they are for children at the age of four or five is one way to help young children.

When children go to preschool, not only do they learn to work with each other but the teacher keeps a strict record of every child’s behavior in order to catch any behavioral or learning problems early on. The teachers kept a record of my progress when I was younger, and it helped me in my education. Educated teachers are able to catch developmental problems in children. Teachers then can let the parents know and offer resources so the issue can be fixed the best way possible. I had to go through this, and it was a tough time throughout school using all my free time to go see therapists and tutors.

I never appreciated the things my parents did for me until I was old enough to understand. Once I understood the amount of hardship they went through to help me succeed, I wanted to do that for every child around me. Not only am I studying in school to help children, I also volunteer with children in the deaf community. I volunteer as much as I can so that I can help children and provide them with the necessary support.

Children are the future of our workforce. Without a solid basic foundation to start from, it is hard for them to learn the necessary skills to succeed in school. I have done many things in my life to prove that early childhood education works.