Meat Is Murder

Alyssa - Redondo Beach, California

Imagine you’re locked in a small cage with hundreds of others so you can barely move. You’ve lived in it your whole life. Living like this isn’t healthy and many others have died off and are just left to rot in the cage. Your death soon awaits you and it’s not a quick and painless death. This is what millions of animals go through every day so you can eat your meat. I am a vegetarian and I believe that meat is murder. Being a vegetarian is healthier for the environment, the animals and your body. Yet, so many people still eat millions of animals each year.

People often think that humans we’re made to be carnivores. This is completely untrue. Humans have very long intestines, which makes meat not digest easily. Carnivores have very small intestines so the meat can go through them quickly. Meat eaters have claws, herbivores don’t. Carnivores are known for their sharp front teeth and they have no flat molars. Humans don’t have sharp front teeth, but they do have flat rear molars for grinding. Meat eaters have strong hydrochloric acid in their stomachs to digest meat. Human’s stomach acids are 20 times weaker than meat eaters. Humans also have salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits. Meat eaters don’t have a need for salivary glands. Meat eaters also have no skin pores and they perspire through their tongues. Humans have skin pores. Carnivores eat raw meat. Most humans must disguise their meats by cooking it and seasoning it, otherwise most people won’t even touch it. Humans definitely aren’t designed to be carnivores.

Many people don’t take this torture very seriously because they think animals don’t have emotions or aren’t smart enough to understand what’s going on. That is far from the truth. Animals scream and cower in fear, just like humans. Factory farms put thousands of animals in one building with no fresh air and sunshine. Pigs are kept in the dark for about 24 hours to keep them calmer. Pigs’ tails are cut off and their teeth are clipped with pliers. Male cows and pigs are castrated. Dairy cows don’t live more than 4 ½ years. An average cow lives about 7 years. They must have a calf every year to ensure the stability of milk. Chickens are kept in small pens filled with chickens, and not all of them are alive. The young male chickens aren’t of any use so they are killed by being stuffed in a bag full of carbon dioxide and no oxygen or they are just shredded to pieces. Chickens do have nerves in their beaks, but to prevent biting, factory farms workers grind down their beaks with a hot blade. This hurts them tremendously. All animals are kept in small, and filthy warehouses. They are dosed with drugs to make them grow quickly. They frequently become crippled or suffer from heart attacks when they’re only a few weeks old. Then they are taken to slaughterhouses where they are hung upside down, and their throats are slit while they are still conscious.

Twenty million people worldwide will die of malnutrition this year. If Americans reduced their meat intake by 10%, 100 million people could be fed. The oats and corn grown in the US is mostly eaten by livestock, not humans. On an acre of land, 40,000 lbs of potatoes can be grown but only 250 lbs of beef can be made. 56% of land in the US is farmland devoted to beef production. It takes 16 lbs of grains and soybeans to produce one pound of edible flesh.

Being a vegetarian is healthier for the environment. The main cause of global warming is the greenhouse effect. The primary cause of the greenhouse effect is carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels. It takes 3 times more fossil fuels to eat meat than it does to make a vegetarian diet. 260 million acres of forest was cleared out for cropland to produce a meat diet. We’re killing the plants that take the carbon dioxide and turn it into oxygen. 1000 animals per year die due to the destruction of rainforests for meat grazing and other uses.

Vegetarians are generally healthier. By cutting out meat, the chances of developing chronic diseases including diabetes, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, osteoporosis, kidney failure, and cancer is 40% less than those who eat meat. Though, if you are a vegetarian, you must make sure you eat the right foods to get your proper nutrition. You can obtain all the nutrition you need from a vegetarian diet.

Just remember that every time you buy a McDonald’s burger, you’re supporting these factory farms. Meat is murder. You’re providing them with money to fund their cruel ethics. I refuse to condone this cruelty. Meat is unhealthy for you, the environment, and the animals. Live a healthier lifestyle and go vegetarian.