Joshua - Moulton, Alabama
Themes: sports

I believe that the National Collegiate Athletic Association football league needs a playoff system to determine the National Championship team. The way that the Bowl Championship Series is set up at this point in time is a broken system. Some teams that go undefeated during the regular season do not get a chance to play for the championship. It is the only sport that you cannot determine your own destiny. Here is some of the examples how the BCS system is broken.

University of Southern California, Oklahoma, and Louisiana State University finished the 2003 season with only one loss. USC lost to California in triple overtime and LSU lost a home game to Florida. Oklahoma were ranked number one in the Bowl Championship Series, American Press, and Coach’s Poll for the entire season until upset by Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game. LSU went on to defeat Oklahoma in the 2004 Sugar Bowl. USC defeated Michigan in the 2004 Rose Bowl. USC and LSU split the National Championship.

In 2004, USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Utah and Boise State all went undefeated in regular season. USC and Oklahoma were number 1 and 2 to start the season. Since Auburn, Utah, and Boise State did not start at the top of the polls, even going undefeated, they were not able to play for the championship. USC and Oklahoma played each other in the BSC championship game. USC beat OU in the championship game.

If the NCAA football league created a playoff it would improve the game. The bracket for this playoff should consist of the champion of each of the conferences and the independent team with the best record. The teams should be seeded by their ranking in the polls with the lowest ranked team playing the highest. The winning team of the playoff would be named undisputable National Champions.

I believe in making of a playoff system in NCAA football. The playoff system would not only fix and benefit the game but increase viewing of the games. Schools would make more money not only from more viewers but the lower ranked schools that don’t make it into the higher ranked bowl games now could possibly couple of more games per season.