Open the Door

Mara - Bettendorf, Iowa

When my parents signed me up for basketball, it was the last thing on my list that I wanted to do. I remember being so nervous and having a sick feeling in my stomach. My mom was telling me that I needed to try basketball before I said I didn’t like it. But, I had a different idea, I cried, and cried, and cried. Pretty soon, I looked like a big baby. My mom and dad were getting frustrated with me. So they pointed me to the gym and said good luck. I went into the gym scared as can be.

“Well hi there, what’s your name?” said a lady that I thought was my coach.

“Hi…I’m Mara,” I said in reply.

“Why don’t you go over and get a ball. We’re waiting for all the girls to come.” My coach said.

So I went and got a ball. As some of the other girls arrived I got more nervous. I heard the “swoosh” as the other girls shot and the “boink” as I hit the rim and missed.

“Okay girls, let’s start off with a simple drill,” said my coach.

She explained a pretty easy drill and we all, including me, were eager to do it. As practice went on I realized that basketball wasn’t that bad. I thought that doing lay-ups and just shooting the ball was pretty fun.

Pretty soon, practice was over and our hot sweaty bodies rushed over to get our snacks. So I said goodbye to everybody and rushed to my parents. I told them how much fun I had. They rubbed it my face by saying, “We told you you would like it.”

So as the season went on, I had more and more fun. But, not did I have fun, we were winning every game. Before I knew it, it was the game, the championship Game. Yes our team was in the championship.

So, as the clock was running down, it was 18-16.

The other team was winning.

Then with less than one minute left, we scored and it was tied.

But as our hopes went up, they went back.

The other team scored.

So we got the ball we went to shoot and missed.

As we ran to go play defense…BUZZ!

The other team won.

We grabbed our 2nd place trophies and said a sad goodbye to each other. Even though we didn’t win, I felt like we did. I made new friends, I found a new sport I like, and I had fun! So what I learned is you have to “Open the Door” and be open minded about things you wouldn’t normally do.

This I believe.