Heather - Cheboygan, Michigan
Themes: family, love

I had always thought that when you grew up that there is this one person that is out there for you. That this person is the one person that will stand by you and love you know matter what. That this person is the one that would love you through thick and thin. I had always thought that when you found that person that you would always be happy. I was wrong. I had believed this thought for the longest time. I had saw what a great love my grandfather and grandmother had. When my grandma passed away I saw how devastated my grandpa was. I now think to this day that know one could ever have replaced his love for her. I was saddened at the thought that she would not be there to see me walk down the aisle or to see her great grandchild. My grandpa never remarried after she passed, he had once told me that he could never find anyone to love like her and that know one could compare to her. This lead me to the thought that there is a great love out there for everyone. Again, this was something that I was wrong about.

I had met my now, exhusband when I was nineteen and I truly thought that he was the one for me. He treated me and my family like his own. He would send me flowers for know reason and take me on romantic dates. I really thought that this is what love was like. Not long after my twenty birthday he had asked me to marry him and I gladly said yes. We got married shortly after that. For awhile everything was wonderful and like when we were dating. Things soon changed, shortly after having my first child he became very abusive toward me and I was concerned for my child. When I told him I was leaving he promised that he was going to change and did for awhile. Once my second child came along he went back to the abuse. It took me a long time, but I ended up leaving with my kids. At this point I realized that I would never have that love that I longed to have like my grandparents had. I had went many years by myself, thinking that I didn’t have a sole mate and that true love was something that was not true only a myth. One night a friend of mine had set me up on a blind date with Chuck. I really went into the date not expecting anything. Actually, I really expected him to either be like my ex husband or as soon as he found out that I have kids he would end the date. I was wrong, I found out as the night progressed that he was married before and has kids of his own. We were dating for about a year when I had found out that my grandpa was dying. I was immediately grief stricken with this news. My grandpa and I were close, but not as close as I would have liked. I could not imagine not having him there. I know how much he enjoyed seeing my kids and I. I thought about all the family picnics that we would have. When I got the call that he had died I didn’t really have a reaction. Then at the funeral my uncle read a letter that my grandpa had written to my grandma telling her that he knew that some day he would see her again and they would be looking at the stars together.

It was then that I realized what true love was. It did not matter that my grandpa did not have her there with him when he would go camping and sit and watch the stars. He always knew that she was waiting for him where ever she was. At the picnics when he would just sit back and smile, it was like she was there with us. When he watched my kids playing with the other grandkids, it was like she was watching with him. At the moment that my uncle had finished the letter Chuck put his arm around me and I felt safe and loved. That was when I knew what true love is.