Staphany - Crofton, Kentucky
Themes: equality, love, race

I believe in interracial relationships. Most of my friends and family don’t accept it, but I do. It bothers me so bad when people see interracial marriage and bash it. That’s discrimination and it’s not right. People will try to say that they’re not prejudice, but if that’s true, then interracial relationships would be okay with them. The color of someone’s skin shouldn’t matter at all. God made everyone different for a purpose. That purpose wasn’t for us to go around hating others out of our own race. People that do that are very, very wrong.

About a year ago, my boyfriend’s sister was dating a black guy. Of course, her dad went crazy. He tried to make them break up. She came to me for advice and I told her that her dad was stupid for saying that, because even if she broke up with him, the feelings she had for him wouldn’t just go away. People can’t control their feelings. People like what they like and that’s that. She liked her boyfriend a lot, and it was wrong of her dad to get upset over the fact that he wasn’t white. Nathan was a good kid, but just because he was black, Lauren wasn’t allowed to date him. Now, she dates the rudest guy I have ever met. Her dad approves though, because he’s white.

I have come to believe this way because when I was little, all I had been taught was that interracial relationships and marriages were wrong. In the seventh grade, we were having a discussion over the book “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.” One of the students made a racial comment and Mrs. Hayes told the class that it wasn’t the color of a person’s skin, but the color of their heart that mattered. That has stuck with me ever since.

Now, whenever someone speaks negatively towards it, I say those wise words. It usually doesn’t change their mind, but at least they know my opinion of it. One day, they might realize that they’re wrong and accept everyone the way God made them.