How I Exist

Jessica - Frankfort, Kentucky

Karma is defined as: the total effect of one’s actions during the successive phases of one’s existence, regarded as one’s destiny. It is a practice in line with the religions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Although I am not an avid follower of either of these or any religion for that matter, I do possess full belief in karma and destiny.

I am a seventeen year old girl. As ridiculous as it sounds, I may have found the person that I am meant to be with. This is the ground beneath my belief in destiny. We met through a mutual friend about nine months ago, and we haven’t been able to leave each other alone since. The feeling that I get when he calls me is as if I were about to confront my greatest fear. He also can, at all times, turn my demeanor for the best of which I am capable. Thinking of him helps me wake up every morning, and the standing that we have with each other affects my wellbeing for the whole day. He can either put a raincloud or a rainbow over me. Our connection is full of feelings that are so raw, so real that they frighten me. These feelings I am speaking of are indescribable… these feelings root my believing heart.

I am lucky to have found him; someone to share the good and bad with, although I am aware that I may not always be the most pleasant company. I have my share of enemies, perhaps even more, but I am quite content with this. For I live my life to my own fulfillment, as should everyone. I am sure that I have been on this earth for much longer than my body is aware, and because of that I am not arrogant with my basis on life. The earth and the forces of it and I seem to have an understanding that not many people can say that they comprehend. Pity happenings such as not getting your promotion are not what I am living for; I am living for myself. I do not go out of my way to displease, and I do not backstab, nor am I conniving. I merely look for the most logical answer. I believe that keeping to yourself for the most part, and not meddling with other’s transactions will in turn bring you good fortune. I do not waiver, I do not lie to accommodate people, and I have not had the most unfortunate existence. These two have a direct correlation: karma.

My life lived has bloomed into my strong belief in destiny and karma. The actions that I execute and the reactions I experienced in turn are positive and gratifying. They often do not seem to be in my best interest at the time, but always turn out to have been for the best. I have an understanding with the world around me. You get as you give. For these reasons and countless others, I believe in karma and destiny.