Jo Ann - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

I Believe it’s Never too Late to Get an Education

Being the daughter of a share cropper, I grew up very sheltered and naive having very few life experiences outside of school, church, and farm life. I was the oldest daughter of five children. My life consisted of many chores and responsibilities on the farm.

At age 15 I married the first boy I dated, with all intentions of finishing school. Financially I was forced to quit school and go to work. At 18 we started a family and by age 24 had three children. My life was drastically altered at age 25 when my husband left me with the responsibilities of raising three children.

I remarried at age 27 and continued to work to help support the family. Struggling through hard times there seemed to be no time to continue my education. My time was consumed with working, my husband, my children, and their ballgames band and school activities.

I worked at a garment factory and after eight years accepted a promotion as supervisor. My new job consisted of learning numerous new tasks. During this time my husband and I decided to have a baby. At 35 I was a new mother with teenage children and a new job. Even though I needed to take some class’s to help me in my job, I didn’t seem to have the time.

Through the years I continued at the same job, had a son in college and one in high-school. My daughter and oldest son were married and I soon became a grand-mother. My life was full of new experiences and responsibilities.

After 31 years at the same job my company went out of business. I was presented with looking for a new job with very little education. After much debate I decided it was time for me to go back to school. At age 58 I started my college career. I am attending Hopkinsville Community College with my grand-daughter and working on an associate’s degree in Offices Systems Technology with a Medical Option. My hopes are to become a coding specialist and work in a hospital or doctors office. In about two weeks I will be finishing my first year “wow” I am almost half way there.

I strongly believe it is important to get your education before getting married and starting a family. Throughout my life I have felt the need to finish my education. Additional education would have given me more confidence in life and benefited me in my working career. I guess I am living proof it’s never too late to get an education.