New Doors and Better Paths

Jessica - Frankfort, Kentucky

I believe adoption is like starting over or opening new doors in life. Adoption gives a child a new life, a fair chance, and a new beginning. It does not just change the adopted child’s life; it changes the life of the family they are joining also.

In December of 2007, my parents adopted two bi-racial girls ages three and four. Prior to this they were considered my foster sisters. When they first came to stay with us, I experienced first hand just how judgmental the world was. My family was always getting rude comments and nasty looks. This made me want to quit and not care for these girls. As I had the chance to learn about my new family members and I grew to start caring for them, and my eyes were opened to a new world. A world of maturity where I have realized it is time to grow up, stop caring about what other people say, and to take on a motherly role and help raise these precious children.

By far the most rewarding part of adoption is that I get to watch these children grow and see the difference I have made in their life. Getting to see my sisters go to school, play t-ball, write their names, and carry on conversations allows me gain a sense of accomplishment. As they have started to learn more they became more than just my sisters, but my best friends. I look forward to the day when I teach them how to drive or talk to them about boys, but most of all when they realize the way they have changed me as a person.

I have always believed that the way you live influences what you do in your life. I have decided I want to spend my life counseling children that are in the process of joining a new family through adoption. These children often go through horrific experiences that most people are not aware ever happen to anyone, I want to be able to tell these children my story and show them the opportunities that open up for them. I want to be one of the people that impacts lives and show children just how special they are and how meaningful life is. I plan on adopting children of my own in the future.

Every life affected by adoption experiences the beauty of new doors being opening and a path that leads to a better and more satisfying life.