This I believe

Suzett - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

This I Believe.

I believe people have no heart. It’s a tough game, and everybody plays it for himself.

At first I wanted to say “I believe there is no God”. Because I feel there’s nobody to stop people hating each other. I am disoriented and hurt. I cannot believe how selfish most people are. And I wanted to say there is no God because mean people don’t immediately get punished. I believe this is unfair. I forgive and I pray God will forgive them too.

There are two types of people without heart. First, the people that hurt others, to gain something.

I’ve seen so many things that shouldn’t have happened. I’ve seen people hitting a dog because he begged for food. I’ve seen people stealing from other people because they had more muscle. I’ve seen men cheating and I’ve seen women cheating. I don’t know why this happened.

I believe most of the people are selfish and egocentric. An idea cannot be good unless it was theirs in the first place. And if it was somebody else’s then it can only be good if it brings immediate profits.

People want to gain something. Anything. And at any costs. A million dollars or a penny. A life of leisure or 15 minutes of fame. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as the ego is satisfied. I believe this is not necessarily a bad thing, but I also believe people would go above and beyond to win. And it doesn’t matter what are the costs, who is hurt in the process or whose trust they betray as long as they win.

The second type of heartless people are the ones that hurt others just because they can. Without any kind of remorse, and without any kind of gratification. They just hurt others. I’ve seen a man who physically abused his wife. He knew he would get whatever he wanted (food, attention, or entertainment) from his wife just by hinting at the fact he wanted that. However he chose to physically abuse her with every chance he got. The food was not better, and he didn’t get more attention nor more fun after beating his wife, but he still did. Other people hurt without ever hitting. They know words hurt the most, and they chose to use the most painful words just because they can.

I believe because there are so many heartless people in this world we are where we are, and we suffer like we do. If instead of searching for immediate personal profits people would try to bring a sunshine in other people’s hearts, the whole world would be better.

Unfortunately, people forget about Love. Because they are too busy to remember they have a heart. And by forgetting this, they lose their heart.