Andrea - Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Themes: purpose, setbacks

This I believe . . .

I believe that all things happen for a reason and purpose. Or another way to put it is, “when one door closes, another one opens.” There have been several times in my life that this saying has come true. The first time was when I was 18 and again when I was 35 years old. When I was 9 years old I was diagnosed with Epilepsy and started seeing a Neurologist who put me on medicine to control my seizures. After many years of being on meds and being tested every couple of years to see if there was still brain activity for seizures, I was told that all the signs of my epilepsy were gone. This was a medical mystery. Most people who are diagnosed with Epilepsy have to live with the disease for the rest of their lives. I was told by my doctor that I was the rare case and that it baffled him. He had never seen a case like mine where I had gone from having very frequent, severe seizures to not having any. At age 18, I graduated from high school and came off my meds. I have lived seizure free with no signs of my Epilepsy. I wanted to live a “normal” life, free of meds and doctors, and be able to have children some day. The medicine I was taking at the time was known to cause birth defects and I had been told not to get pregnant. I have two daughters and have been married for 15 years. Pretty much I have lived a “normal” life.

My life changed again in 2007 at the age of 35 when I lost my job at a local factory. I had worked there almost 12 years. When I found out I would lose my job, I was devastated to say the least. But in time I came to realize that it was a blessing in disguise. If I had not been let go, I would still be there, making jeans and feeling like my life was going nowhere. I always wanted to go back to school, but having kids and being responsible for them changed my thinking. I no longer put myself first, but put my kids and husband first. Now, being back in school for a year, my perspective has changed. I was not meant to spend my life in that factory, but to help others. That is why I choose Medical Administration as my major. I want to be able to give back by being an asset to a doctor’s office. I spent a lot of time going to see my doctor. Maybe this is why I feel like I was meant to go through these experiences. It has taught me that life is short and I should go for whatever it is that I want in life. I should never be afraid to take a chance, because when one door closes another one opens. I believe I have come full circle.