Ed - Warrington, Pennsylvania

Spiritual Geography Essay

Spiritual Geography is something that can be found in every Christian’s life. The earth is a place that everyone shares and as a result, people are shaped differently depending on the location and place they are in. For example, someone living in Bucks County, PA is going to have a completely different shape to their life from their surroundings than someone who lives in Africa, Europe, or any other part of the world. Even within the United States there is a huge difference between different locations in the country. As a result, different people’s lives are shaped differently – all due to their spiritual geography and how the location they are currently in shapes their life and the people around them. However, spiritual geography does not have to involve the location that someone lives. It can be anywhere that someone feels like the physical world around them shapes them or their life. In my own life, I have noticed that my surroundings influence and affect the understanding I have of God and myself. The place that I feel influence my life is Bonita Springs, FL. Visiting this area frequently throughout the years has shown me a new area and has given me a new perspective on life. Across the street from my grandparent’s condo where I stay, there is a private beach where I spend much of my time while down there. Walking on the beach along the gulf’s edge made me see the waves washing my footprints away which reminds me of how God washed away our sins and gives us new sand to walk on.

Every year my cousins and I go to my grandparent’s condo in Bonita Springs, FL for a vacation. “The city is located on both Estero Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The area referred to as Bonita Beach is located on a road-accessible barrier island (Little Hickory Island) that lies between the Gulf of Mexico and Estero Bay. The Imperial River flows through the downtown district of the city and empties into Estero Bay.” (Wikipedia). The condo is actually located on Little Hickory Island right on Bonita Beach next to the Gulf of Mexico. This is a great place for a vacation because its private and a great place to just go and relax and get away from the stresses of everyday life. The community there is great because everyone knows each other that lives in the condo so all the owners are friends. This is another example of how geography affects and shapes peoples lives.

One of my favorite things to do while down there is walk on the beach with my cousins around the time the sun is setting. Usually after dinner my three cousins and sister will go for a walk on the beach and just take in the atmosphere of being in such a beautiful place. At that same beach when I was younger, I first tried standing in the sand and letting the waves bury my feet. Later, I realized how interesting it is that as someone walks on the sand along the waters edge, their footprints are like permanent molds until the waves come once again and wash them away. This memory I had of the beach at Florida was the perfect comparison to God and how he washes away our sins. This is because the waves wash away our footprints just as God washed away our sins. A good verse that reminds me of this love God had for us that he decided to clean our sin is “Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away” (Acts 3:19). This verse is another example of how God always forgives and washes away our sins just as the waves wash away my footprints on Bonita Beach.