Passion—Real or Imagined

Kellie - Colden, New York

What is passion?

Passion capitalized means the sufferings of Christ between the night of the Last Supper and his death; this is not my passion.

The passion I’m speaking of, is the state or capacity of doing something fueled by external agents or forces, or as in my case internal forces—my gut feeling, the little voice in my head, or the crazy ideas I come up with— aka— My voice.

My voice, the voice of reason, the voice of intuition, spiritual guidance, or a voice that sounds like my mother, especially during the winter when I scuff my clunky, keep my feet warm boots on the barn floor, and I hear her say, “Kellie Marie” pick or feet up.

Without a blink of an eye, I do as I’m told, with no fear of the voice or any doubt it’s she telling like when I was a child, to pick up my feet.

When your passion or the truth of your soul comes through, it’s an intense, overpowering conviction that drives you forward and squelches doubts. I’ve learned to listen better as I’ve matured, (you notice I did not say as I am getting older), and not fight it.

The Native American’s historical uses of herbs, and other cultures that don’t have the modern day medicines we do, who live sometimes healthier lives, I find intriguing. This intrigue’s, pushed me to want to know more about the power of herbs and go back to a more natural way of life that will help us (the human race) live a more harmonious life.

My passion, My Voice, not necessarily the voice of reason, is leading me to open a new business, Herbs & Things, even though I’m not an expert on herbs, teas or running my own business. I do however, have a passion for drying herbs from my gardens and planting, growing and canning my own vegetables. How then do I cultivate this passion? What better way, than open a business on the very thing I want to learn more about.

I was in the shower when I heard the voice loud and clear. I guess my mind was open for reception. The shower is a place I can hear the best. The running water lets me hear nothing else.

The name Herbs & Things was loud and specific. Immediately ideas started filling my mind and it’s not stopped. I couldn’t stop even if I tried.

I must admit, I wonder, crosses my mind a lot. I wonder if I’ve ordered the right merchandise. Will I have enough? Will I do ok? Will people like my homey little Herbs & Things shed and the neat stuff inside? My voice tells me not to worry about that.

This journey is fueled by an overpowering conviction, coming from where—I don’t know. Why now— I don’t know that either. All I do know is I quit my job to be able to devote the proper amount time to launch this endeavor.

The odd thing about quitting my job and spending money on this adventure is I feel no guilt or fear. It feels right. Does this lack of guilt and fear mean I am being true to my passion, my soul and my hearts intention? I know what I believe.

Think about your passion. If you don’t know, what it is—listen to that voice inside your head. You know— that idea you say, no way I can’t do that or— what am I crazy to think such I thing. Go for it. You only live once, and saying I wonder, is much better than saying, I wished I tried.