Art is Everywhere and Everything

Kenneth - Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Art is Everywhere and Everything

It is my house, it’s my clothes, it’s my body, and it consumes my life. My belief is that art is in everything. I walk into my apartment everyday and pass by every item down to the sponge on my sink and don’t stop and realize that each item is artistic. If I put thought into it, it took someone in a sponge company headquarters to come up with the color assortment and shape of the sponge that now sits on my sink. Its primary purpose is to please the viewer’s eye while also having a useful function. Maybe it’s not what I call artistic talent, but definitely an artistic thought. Everyone would say, by definition, art is a freedom of expression, color, line, balance, shape, texture, or form. On the contrary, art can even be the desolate walls of a hospital. Those walls are just a small piece of a larger work of art, the hospital. Art is creative thoughts. The imagination might not be a tangible piece of artwork but it has a set of vivid imagery and color like any painting in a home. Take a second to think about how many things on a nightstand can be considered art. The lamp, the alarm clock, and even the crumpled tissue has shape and texture.

Many people would say I am crazy. People have to purposely choose to make art, but sometimes it just happens and no one realizes that it is in fact art. I believe that people don’t realize art is in everything. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder but who’s to say what someone thinks is art, isn’t art. I don’t know about the rest of the world but I think using creativity is a good release of emotion and freedom.

While writing this essay I have to be creative and use my artistic writing skill to keep the reader entertained and interested. I use techniques when making art even when I am daydreaming in class. I will be paying attention one minute and the next I look down on my paper and there is cartoon characters and graffiti all over my notes. If art is in everything then what makes some objects seem more like art than others?

I feel like art is stereotyped into paint on a canvas, a sculpture, or skilled drawings, but in reality art is the crumpled tissue, the hospital walls, or the graffiti on the trains that pass by. If everyone would wait on that train to pass and admire the moving art show instead of living every minute like it’s a precious chance to be productive. Slow down, take a breath, and enjoy life’s art.