I Believe in Love

Elizabeth - Huntsville, Alabama
Themes: love

Love. How could such a simple, four-letter word be associated with such strong feelings when it has no concrete meaning? I believe I love because I have felt it in many different ways. There are so many ways to love and be loved, but trying to find the real definition of love is difficult because it depends on how a certain person feels when he or she is loved.

One kind of love is the way parents love their child. I believe in parental love because I have felt it. The way my parents love me is evident in every single day of my life. Not only do my parents provide what I need, they also are always there for me when I need them. Whether it be staying up all night with me when I am sick or spending a whole weekend with me while I’m working on a school project that I waited until the last minute to do, they do things that I know some parents would not do with their children. I hope that when I have children that they will be able to see this kind of love, and I hope that I can show it as well as my parents do. I believe in love because my parents have shown it to me.

Another kind of love is the way friends love. I believe in loving friends because I have shown it and felt it at the same time. I know that I love my friends because I cry when they cry and seeing them happy makes me happy. I have felt love from my friends in the same kind of situations. Knowing that my friends care for me and support me is one of the strongest types of love I have felt because I know they are not obligated to be my friends, but they make the choice to be. I believe in loving friends because I have experienced it.

The next kind of love is love to and from God. I believe in love from God because it is all around me. God has blessed me with so many things that I do not need and do not deserve. I have a wonderful family, friends, and great opportunities that I know would not be there if it were not for Him. I love God with all my heart because I know that He made the biggest sacrifice in the world to save my life. I believe in love to and from God because I can feel it.

Love is everywhere. Whether you can see it or feel it, it is there and evident in everyone’s lives. Although love cannot ever be perfectly defined, there are a few verses in the Bible that I believe are the closest to the prefect definition. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 says, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (NIV) I believe in love.