Faith in God

Sonya - Decatur, Georgia

As I continue to advance in my years there are things I have come to believe in. Through experiences in my life thus far, having faith in God is a belief that remains constant with me. There have been instances where my faith has gotten me through trying times. Living according to the Bible verse “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen,” (Hebrews 11:1 King James Version) has truly been a blessing.

Before my birth, my parents were blessed with two sons. As God-fearing people, they reared them to be respectful, Christian boys. At the ages of five and eight they were already brightening people’s days. At five years old my youngest brother contracted a virus from a student in his day care. Combined with an inherited, pre-existing condition, this minor virus took his life within two days. My parents lost their youngest son just one day after being told he would overcome what the doctors called a one day virus, and learned he could have been given a common antibiotic and be living today. However, he is in a better place and no one can alter what is in God’s will.

Though this occurrence devastated my family, no one lost faith in God the Father Almighty. My family grew in faith during the following year. One night, while standing at the window thinking about her beloved youngest son, my mother heard a comforting voice whisper the words “Trust Me” in her ear. She knew right then and there it was none other than the reassuring voice of God. While reading the bible, a scripture was revealed to my father. It reads “The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come” (Isaiah 57:1 King James Version). My father immediately knew that God was speaking out to him.

The very next year my parents were blessed with a set of twin girls, my sister and I. Giving birth to two children the very next year after losing a child truly showed us that having continuous faith in God will send blessings your way. Nothing can ever take the place of their precious son; however, being doubly blessed is evidence of how great the power of God is. They gave me the name Sonya Faith Randolph to show that they will never lose their faith, and named my twin sister’s middle name after a derivative of their youngest son’s name.

God can and does perform miracles, and if you have faith in Him you will be truly blessed. The reason my twin sister and I were born is because of the faith my parents have in Him. Therefore, having faith is without question. This isn’t the only time having faith in God has blessed me; however, it is one of my all times favorites. I’ll forever have faith in God.