kayla - 37086, Tennessee
Themes: place

Across the woods, there are a few welcoming folks. In the fall, when the leaves cautiously make their way from the limbs of the trees to the ground, you can see a few homes. The slight views are tiny peeks of what exists on the other side. Besides the very few houses visible to us, our neighborhood is quite secluded. Unlike typical neighborhoods full of husbands, wives, children, and dogs, our neighborhood is different. The idea of seclusion has always been scary to me, but not here. Since living here, I have acquired an unfamiliar appreciation for human-seclusion, nature, and life itself.

Here at night, it’s always peaceful. It is when the sound of day dies down and the moon shines so beautifully over the serene lake that I am certain life is a gift. Once I take myself outside on my front porch I am overwhelmed with the simple feeling of relief. The arrival of night always triggers my calmness. It brings to me a comfort so simple but so rare, I only feel it when the sun winds its way down as the moon rises above it. Something changes, and the night captivates you with all its power and beauty, making it impossible for you to feel any type of negativity. I never experienced such appreciation for nature until I moved here.

I don’t know if it’s the bright lights or the annoying sounds of the interstates that make it so hard to see such magnificance in the cities, but I do know that nature’s beauty is so easily appreciated in my neighborhood, especially at night. The sounds, the smells, the fresh breeze— even when it storms, its comforting. Everything seems pure and simple. The sounds of the crickets, making their existence known. The flashes of the lightening bugs in early summer. The fresh breeze and the breath-taking view of the lake, like I said–it’s simply captivating.

I recall one day in which my world had seemed to fall between my fingers. The glow of the moon, the comfort of the rocking chair on my front porch, was the sanity which cured my negativity. Looking out from my front porch, taking in the night. Letting it smother my soul. I have never known a place to be as comforting as my very own front porch, a place in which I am glad exists where it does, in my neighborhood.

My neighborhood isn’t full of people and it isn’t full of perfectly manicured lawns, it’s just there, waiting for anyone who comes to visit. It’s there waiting to embrace anyone who needs it. It is much more than the average neighborhood, and I will always appreciate living here.