Angels And Airways

Madison - Pleasant Grove, Alabama

I never saw it coming. The force of the Ford Explorer struck me like a ton of bricks. I sat still and listened to the silence, trying to collect my thoughts on what had just happened. When I saw the other driver leaning over his steering wheel, I realized I had been in a serious wreck. A million thoughts went through my mind as I ran to his car. As I ripped open his door, my eyes filled with tears. I was scared. When I awoke the driver, I realized something was different. I asked him questions. His eyes rolled to the back of his head. My eyes could not process what I was seeing. They did not want to see the truth. The young man was under the influence. My cell phone was in my hand. I fumbled with the touch screen as I dialed 911. Words found their way out of my mouth and managed to tell the operator where I was.

I looked around. Glass and car parts littered the street. Cars slowed to assess the damage. My face was pale with fear. I was embarrassed. Suddenly, lights were everywhere. Police, ambulances and fire-trucks appeared. I sighed heavily. I was relieved that help had finally arrived. The police asked me questions. I explained that the young man had run the red light. His Explorer had crashed in to my driver’s door and sent me across the intersection. One cop approached me with his head low. His baby blue eyes met mine, and he told me that I was lucky. If the Explorer had hit me any closer to my door it would have killed me. It was in that exact moment that I truly started believing in the power of guardian angels.

I always believed that I had special people looking out for me. Ironically, four of my best friends passed away in a car crash at the end of my senior year. Although they had passed away, I still felt as though they were with me. I liked to believe that they were watching over m. I felt they were keeping me safe. Even though I knew that I could talk to them, I did not know if they could really hear me. It is said that when you die, your soul goes to heaven. However, I did not exactly know whether or not guardian angels truly existed.

As the policeman gave me a ride back to my dorm, the harsh realization hit me. I barely escaped death. After my wreck, I truly believe in guardian angels. I believe my four special guardian angels were protecting me. It was as if they put their arms around me to form a shield of safety. It was not my time. My guardian angels knew that. I am lucky. I am thankful. I am blessed to have my guardian angels watching over me.