Fraternity Friendships

Aaron - Huntsville, Alabama

This I Believe-Fraternity Friendships

I decided to join a fraternity in the summer before my freshman year, and it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I never saw myself as a fraternity member. I didn’t like the idea of paying to be part of an organization that forced you to act a certain way. The whole idea of a fraternity seemed like an excuse to party and get drunk. Joining a fraternity seemed like it would be an obstacle to my ultimate goal of making good grades and getting a degree. However, my friends wanted to join one, so they decided to attend an event to meet some of the members of a fraternity. I reluctantly tagged along because there was nothing better to do. The members of the fraternity did not go along with the stereotype I had given to fraternity guys. The guys were nice and sincerely interested in getting to know me. After the party, I decided that it was worth going to another summer party. At the next event, I accepted an invitation to join the fraternity. I wasn’t aware of it at the time, but joining would introduce me to a group of guys that I could depend on and call my brothers.

I believe in the strong friendships that result from joining a fraternity. Since I have joined a fraternity, I have only benefited because I have gotten to know many guys who share the same interests and beliefs as me. During the new member period, I was not required to act a certain way, but instead encouraged to create strong friendships with fellow new members. The guys who I first viewed as “fellow new members” quickly became my close friends. My new fraternity friends were there for me when the stresses of college and becoming a new member were at a climax. Having people there who understood what I was going through and who helped raise my spirits was a blessing. The fraternity has given me an opportunity to make lifelong friendships. I believe in fraternity friendships because these guys are the ones who truly care about me and who will have my back in any situation.

Joining a fraternity did the opposite of what I believed it would before the summer of my freshman year of college. I took a chance at joining an organization in which I had doubts about, and I have come away with loyal and excellent friends. I truly believe that the friendships through the fraternity are unlike any others because we have a brotherly bond. I have had many close friends, but none like the ones I have made in the fraternity. Joining the fraternity is one of the best decisions I have ever made because I have had the privilege of making friends with a group of guys that care about me and want me to succeed in all of my life goals. I truly believe in fraternity friends.