The Power of Medicine

Tara - Morris, Alabama
Themes: illness, science

I believe in the power of medicine. When I was only eighteen months old I was diagnosed with a rare vitamin deficiency. Being from a small town in Alabama, my family searched for doctors nationwide trying to find answers to how this rare disease would affect my life. After searching we found answers, but they were not the answers that were expected. We were told that before the age of twenty- five I would be bound to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. We learned that this rare deficiency would slowly make my bones so weak that even walking would become too difficult.

To many I appeared to be a normal child playing and having fun with all of my friends, but the ones close to me knew the difference between my life and the life of a normal five year old. I spent many nights without sleep crying because of the pain in my bones. Most days were spent forcing medicine in my tiny mouth or receiving injections to try and stop the disease from slowly consuming my life.

After years of learning about my condition and searching for ways to better it, my family finally found the answers we had been searching for. There were surgeries that could be performed to help stabilize my bones along with medicine to stabilize my vitamin levels. This was my answer to a normal life. We decided to take the medicine and begin the surgeries to correct my bones. Surgery after surgery my future began to look brighter. Although I never went without visitors or friends to help me through, I wanted so badly to be able to do simple things, like run or dance without it hurting my bones. It was a painful process, but it was well worth it in the end.

Today, I am a normal and healthy young woman with the world at her fingertips. I overcame a great obstacle in my life with the help of medicine and doctors who never gave up on my future or me. Today, I am also a student at The University of Alabama working my way to becoming a doctor. It is my dream to change peoples lives the way medicine and doctors have changed mine throughout the years. This is something I am willing to dedicate my life to simply because I believe in the power of medicine.