Family

GAbby - topinabee, Michigan

I Believe

I believe in family. Family is about love, and there is never a time when your family can let you down. We all came together as one, and I believe that is what family is about.

There are three words to describe family, love, comfort, and loyalty. My great grandmother’s death made me believe in family. She taught me the meaning of family. My great grandmother and I always used to play rummy. It was an easy card game, and she taught me how to play when I was very young. She was very caring. Every afternoon we would sit together and watch the soaps on television. One thing I will never forget is when she taught me to tie my shoe. You make the bunny ears, and put it through the hole. She taught me many things, but the most important was believing in my family.

I was 12 years old, and my 13th birthday was coming up. My Grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple years before. She fought it as long as she could. The cancer took over, and she was sent to the hospital. She lived downstate at the time, and the whole family was with her. It was the longest drive, anticipating seeing someone you love in so much pain was heart breaking. I never liked hospitals very much. I walked down that white hall with so many different emotions. Everyone was praying for the best. I walked in the room not knowing this was going to be the last time I ever spoke to my great grandmother. If I would have known that I would have said a lot more. When you are 12 years old you don’t know how to deal with these kinds of situations.

My family was devastated, and I felt I had to keep my head on my shoulders. She lay in that hospital bed in pain. Her face glowed when my sisters and I walked through the door. Naturally we told her how much we loved her, and she was coming home soon. Everyone wanted to believe she was coming home, but she died later in the week, in that same bed. She knew it was her time to go, and so did my family. We accepted this was a fact of life. She lived a long life. When she passed I was up north, and my Aunt was watching us. It

was 5 in the morning and somehow I knew she was gone. Five minutes later we

received the call. The call no one wants to get. We rushed downstate for the funeral.

I didn’t know what would happen in this scenario. The whole family spent a lot of

time together. We shared all the memories we had, and we each had our own. When you are a family you have those special moments with each other. Thiswas deffinatley one of them. You never would think a family member’s death can bring your family so close to one another. We helped each other through this hard time. Of course your emotions can sometimes get the best of you, but your family will always help you get back on track. My family coming together the way they did was one of the most memorable times in my childhood. I was young, and if I did not have the love and comfort of my family, I don’t know what I would of done. My grandmother was gone, but she was still there in spirt helping all of us get through her death. Family is one of my most important beliefs. I will never be doubted by my family, and I will never doubt my family.If you don’t believe in your family it may take a significant event like death to change your mind.