Brittany - Northport, Alabama

I believe that all women are beautiful. Women come in all different shapes, sizes, and personalities yet share one thing. They are all beautiful inside and out despite what society tells them they should be or what they should look like. Like most people say, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Beauty can be seen as different things to different people and the life-altering events I have experienced in the past few years have shown me this and how beauty can be found in all places and all walks of life.

One pivotal moment in my life that influenced my belief was when one of my closest friends admitted to being bulimic. I had suspected it for awhile but never would’ve imagined that I was right. What really disturbed me were the reasons she gave for her decision to give in to that cycle. She felt unattractive, overweight, lonely, and like no one would ever want her unless she lost those few extra pounds. Above all, she wanted to feel beautiful. She was Homecoming Queen as well as the 1st place winner of our high school’s beauty walk yet she still felt unwanted and ugly. I want her, as well as other women, to realize they are all beautiful and help them to raise their self-esteem.

Another event that affected me was when one of my friend’s moms was diagnosed with breast cancer. This outstanding woman, Katrina, is a true shining star and example of the beauty of a woman. I have watched her go through the experience of treatment with all the recovery procedures and chemotherapy. I watched as she lost her hair and was told she had only a few months to live. Through it all, she remained graceful and positive, never once losing her faith and hope. Even after losing her hair, one of society’s main statements of beauty, she radiated joy and true beauty by making the best of the situation. For example, after losing her hair she made herself a baseball cap with drawings of her four children on it so that every time she looked in the mirror she wouldn’t see her lack of hair but the reasons she keeps fighting. As her diagnosis worsened, she only became more encouraging and optimistic, never letting her high spirits fall. I believe this is an example of real beauty.

My view of the beauty of a woman has been shaped by my life experiences. My friend’s battle with bulimia and Katrina’s fight against breast cancer have shown me that beauty is so much deeper than what society has to say. My wish is that all women will someday come to realize this and be more comfortable and confident in their own skin. No matter where life takes me, no matter what else life has to throw at me, I will encourage and give compliments to my fellow women and always believe that all women are beautiful.