Everything Happens for a Reason

Hilary - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe in the phrase “everything happens for a reason.” How many times has someone said those words to you? I have heard them many times growing up. To me those words mean, that God is in control and knows what he is doing. I think God has a plan for all of us, and that certain events take part in our lives for a specific reason. I know these experiences are suppose to make me a better person and change my life, but sometimes it is hard to see the good in it.

I have had many times in my life where I have questioned why things have happened. I remember one time being so upset because I did not make the school volleyball team in tenth grade. I had not played volleyball very long, but it had quickly become my favorite sport to play. I was told after my ninth grade year, that if I played on a club team during the off-season, then it would improve my skills and I would be guaranteed a spot on the team next year. I took that advice and tried out for the Birmingham Volleyball Club. Birmingham Volleyball Club was much more competitive and more demanding, and I still made the team. So not making the school team was a shock for me. I was upset for a while and it took me a few months to understand why I did not make the team.

A few of months later, in August of two thousand and five, Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina left the entire Mississippi Coast area in devastation and both sets of Grandparents with out a home. It also damaged my Aunt’s house and left several of my family members without a job. For several weeks my parents and I would travel down to the Coast to help my grandparents clean up and to bring them supplies. We also helped them reestablish in a new house since they were left with nothing and had to start all over.

Looking back on the situation, I now see why I did not make the volleyball team. If I would have been a part of the team, then I would not have been able to be there for my family. Games and practices would have gotten in the way of going to see them. It would have put a lot of pressure on my parents, knowing that they needed to be in two places at one time. Although it was tough at first, I am grateful that I was able to be with my family and help them during that time. So even though we may not see the ‘why’ for something right away, remember that God does have a plan for everyone.