wendy - hopkinsville, Kentucky
Themes: gratitude

This I believe… I believe that I am blessed. I also believe that I should bless others by sharing my personal trials with those in need.

I consider myself blessed because of the great riches I have been bestowed over time. Of course, if we are talking money, than I am just as poor as the rest of the world. Let’s leave material wealth behind and dig into the soul; A soul that if left up to the world, would tell me who I am. Instead, I have a soul by which, I declare my own self worth. For instance, as a teenager I became pregnant. My choices were to have an abortion, give the baby up for adoption, or get married. I decided to get married. I was in a position that would have rendered me to be a failure. Within the seven years of marriage, I became victim to violence. My decision in life had compromised my very well being. I had to consider what my options were for the future, which includes ending up dead, badly injured, loosing my children, or taking a stand and finding my voice. With the help of god, family, and a good prosecuting attorney I found the courage to stand up to my violator and to love myself again. Charges were filed for attempt of murder, along with other abuse allegations. My ex-husband faced fifteen years in prison, but eventually plea bargained down to five years with parole after a year. On the other hand, my sentence could have been a lot worse. I am blessed because I survived the abuse and no longer consider my self a victim. I live with the memories of the abuse, but I no longer fear my violator. Through the worse of it all I know that I was being blessed because I live and I have a voice to help other victims survive as well. One thing is for sure, if you give up on your self and allow circumstances to decide your fate, you will fall into a pit of dark fiery ashes just waiting to devour you. On the other hand, if you choose to take control of your circumstances as I have, you can fall to your knees, look up with peace, and say Thank-You Lord for the many opportunities I will be able to face, because YOU carried me through. To this day I have to my face my ex-husband because of the children. When we don’t agree with something I stand my ground. He tells me that I never use to stand up for myself and that he made me strong. I instantly correct him and say that while I have become strong, the joy of the Lord is where I found my strength. Yes, I truly believe I am BLESSED.