I believe in the unexpected

Sarah - Charleston, South Carolina

I am at the time of my life where college will soon end and I will be entering “the real world.” From the start of grade school, we are all asked, “What do you want to do when you grow up?” It is the underlying question that will determine the rest of our lives. This answer for me varied from a writer to electronic engineering, but at whatever point in my life, I became determined to succeed in my interests.

When deciding on a college, I chose a school within state for my scholarship. I couldn’t get out of Columbia, S.C. fast enough. I knew College of Charleston didn’t have my current major of interest, video editing, but I always wanted to live in the town, figuring it would work itself out.

The first year I had no idea what the school offered. I settled for Business Administration. I was miserable. Never so much had I loathed accounting and finance. I started doubting my decision and wondered if USC would have been a better choice. With more majors of my interest, I couldn’t bring myself to go back to where I had always lived. I was ready to move forward and take on the world, but stuck on a budget of student loans.

My sophomore year, I heard about a television show starting production in the area. I immediately went to the office and a week later became the production office intern. I learned how TV production works, soaking in every bit of information my growing mind could grasp. My interests grew, seeing the hard-working preparation of a 200-person crew dedicated to their specific jobs, all to make a one-hour vision become successful, week after week.

I was able to observe all departments, realizing quickly where I belonged. At the end of first season, I started talking to the camera department, fully aware the countless number of people who would want the job start second season. I volunteered to intern again, wanting any possible way to slide my foot in before the door had a chance to close. After three episodes, I was offered the promotion from unpaid intern to paid camera production assistant. A year later, I have been able to maintain my connections, being offered several jobs after graduation.

I believe in the unexpected. I was about to decide on a more planned-out path when I stumbled on the gateway job that will forever affect me in my future career. Never can I imagine my life again without the people I have met thus far in the industry. I listen to the stories of my co-workers first unplanned lives and their enthusiasm about their job still 30 years later.

Once I graduate, I don’t know where I’ll go. I don’t know where I’ll live. But I have found the unknown to be more exciting. The greatest adventures of my 22 years have been when life was unexpected, and this I truly believe is what makes life worth living.