Dance Like No One is Watching

Alyse - Taylors, South Carolina

I walked into the gym and was surprised to see I was one of the youngest women there. The speakers blared hip-hop music, and I went to the back row, thinking that I didn’t want anyone to see me dancing. I was hesitant as the instructor began teaching the hip-hop dance moves. I looked to my right and saw a woman, who was at least 15 years older than me, mouthing the lyrics as she perfected each move. Two hours later, sweaty and tired, I hugged my new friend, told her to call me if she needed a babysitter, and that I’d see her at the next class.

I’ve had no professional training except the two years of tap class at Palmer’s School of Dance in elementary school. I’m more of a dance-in-a-circle-with-your-girlfriends type of dancer than stealing the spotlight. I usually watch my friends and steal moves as we all laugh and dance together. I’m no good at it, but I love it. And I believe everyone needs to dance.

I think those who claim they “don’t dance” have not experienced the full satisfaction of breaking it down and not caring what others think. It doesn’t matter that you stink at dancing. If everyone were good at it, we wouldn’t be obsessed with shows like “So You Think You Can Dance” and “Dancing with the Stars.”

Let loose. Look stupid. Dance like no one is watching. It makes you feel better. This I believe.