The effect of young responsibility

Jessye - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe that responsibility at a young age will help make you a better adult and more respectful of things and peope around you.

As a kid I always had more responsibility then most at an early age. It started out on the farm when i was old enough to take on the responsibility of caring for all the animals with my older sister Jakki. It was a big responsibility as we had many animals that we relied on. As my mom went deeper into her dpression and alcohol and with my dad always gone trcking, i had to look after myself and Jakki when our oldest sister was awa at college and couldn’t be there wih us. At the age of 12 my parents divorced and we went to go live with our dad after our mom proved too unstable to live with. My dad started working for himself then as a carpenter. I got a job working for a lady, cleaning her house, to make money and help my dad out by paying for the animals we still had. My ninth grade year we moved again and by then my dad had started dating and woould be gone days at a time at his girlfriend’s. It became my and Jakke’s job to make sure we had things we needed. i got a job ar a horse barn to pay for the things i needed and help when my dad was short for bills. By the time i was through with my sophmore year my sister and i were mostl on our own. I remember staying at my best friend’s house all the time so i wouldn’t have to go home to an empty house. When my dad decided to marrie hes new girlfriend who didn’t like me or Jakki, I, along with my boyfriend Jonny, decided to take the responsibilities of a house hold and move in together. It was hard to take on those responsibilities and stress of trying to work forty hours a week to pay bills and keep up with school. Now in twelfth grade I’m planning on graduating in January and going to college righ away.

Taking on so much responsibility at a young age has taught me not only to do my own work and not ro rely on others to do it for me, but also not to falter at hard challenges and to help others around me when they need it. It has also made me try hearder to make something of myself. The responsibilites I have had and do have now, help me make the best choices I can for my life and gibe me confidence in who I am and what i am capable of. All this had make me believe that responsibilities at younger ages, whether it is just to help take care of the animals, keep your room clean, or pay for your own cell phone, helps younger people realize how to be more respectful of what people are doing for them and prepare them for their own futures.