Brittany - Lincoln, Nebraska

“I despise you right now. I wish you were never born. I can’t wait ’til you can leave!” These words coming from my own father brought me to a point in my life where I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t care whether or not he accepted me as his daughter (which he rarely did anyway) or whether I was actually loved in my own home. “I’m tired of not being me.” I finally thought to myself after that incident that left my heart permanently wounded and broken. In this generation, parents and teachers always want the youth of today to be perfect. They want us not to make the same mistakes as they did, so they believe we need to be the best of the best. Parents believe that the youth of today have no worries. They think the things we worry about are not a big deal. In my opinion, I believe that we have more worries than our parents did at our age. College is harder to get into, society is harder to be accepted by, and parents don’t believe (or want to believe) the problems we face: peer pressure, stress from school and home, stress with ourselves, for example. I think because of all this, we as the youth, strive for perfection in ourselves. From personal experience, I know what it is like to try to be perfect. I feel like it’s the only thing I can do to make thing right in my life. In trying to do so, I have made my life a living hell. I have been depressed and stressed over the things I struggle to do for my parents, my teachers, friends, and myself. Over the past five years, I have struggled with trying to make my parents and friends happy, that being who they want me to be is more important that what I think of me. How I need to be, what I think of my decisions and actions I make, how I believe I should deal with my problems, no my parents. I cannot keep going through this life trying to make everybody but me happy. With doing that, I have made myself very unhappy. I cannot keep being perfect like everyone wants me to be. Now is the time for me to dip my feet into the pool of imperfection. Now is the time for me to be… me.