Home is Where the Heart Is.

Kaleigh - Lincoln, Nebraska
Themes: family, love

Mmm, love! The very sound of it could bring a smile to someone’s face. I used to believe that true love would come from a young, handsome, seventeen to eighteen year old high school boy. He would run into me in the lunch line, knocking over all of my books; then he’d help me pick them up –and the rest is history, type of thing. That is, until this year. I found love, but it wasn’t in the halls of my high school, or a couple rows ahead of me at our local movie theater, it was in my home – my paradise.

From the age of ten, I could remember dreaming of my perfect wedding, my perfect husband, basically, the perfect fairy tale life. As the years passed me by, I realized, things aren’t always perfect. When they are perfect, they don’t stay that way for long. I believe in cherishing the love you find, and accepting it when it leaves, just like the teenage boys that I thought were perfect so many times before.

I can remember the first time I saw him. He was so perfect. He had the cutest smile and the most beautiful body frame I had ever seen on any teenage boy. He was more than the boys I had dreamed about, he was gold. I managed to “accidentally” bump into him at basketball practice. From there things just kind of happened the way I’d dreamed. Soon we began dating, and I was crazier about him than any other past fling I had ever encountered. I was crazy about the dumb things too, like the sound of his voice, and the way his eyes looked when he smiled, the little things, you know? Nine months later, on February 16, 2007, he broke my heart. He decided he didn’t want me anymore, for no real specific reason at all. I had felt I lost the one I loved, or at least the one I thought I loved.

My family, on the other hand, has been there for me, time and time again, mistake after mistake. They’ve held my hand through my surgeries, cheered for me at my basketball games, yelled at me when I did something stupid, and held me when I cried about it. They have shown love, true love. Love that no boy has even approached. They have always been there for me; they will always be there for me.

I believe with age, comes maturity. I know now that the “fairy tale” ending isn’t just one big grand prize at the end of a long road. It’s the ending of each accomplishment in my life, the little life-changing events that make life special and worthwhile. I’m not sure if I can say, “I’ve been in love,” but I know I can’t wait for the day I can feel it. So what I’m trying to say is, I believe true love doesn’t always come from the handsome young boys in this world. It comes from the home.